One of the most important lessons you can teach your kids is how to be the hands and feet of Jesus. While mission trips and service projects are common among youth groups, you might have a hard time finding organizations that will let you use your younger kids help serve the community. That’s when it’s time to take it into your own hands and throw a Random Acts of Kindness Party at your church.
A Random Acts of Kindness Party is like no other party you have ever been to. Instead of staying at the church, you organize parents to help carpool your kids to different areas around the community, where they get to bless people and organizations with Random Acts of Kindness. This will take a lot of planning on your end, but the end results will have a huge impact on your students.
Before you invite the students to the party, you have to plan out what activities you want the kids to do. A lot of projects are going to require donations and that means the students need a list of items to bring with them to the party. Once you have that all settle out, make sure you have enough vans to take all your students (this is a great way to have kids invite their friends, so make sure you get as many parents on board before hand). Once everything is set in place, you’re ready to send out the invites.
Here are some great ideas to get started, but be sure to think of ideas that meet the needs of your local community.
20. Collect canned food for a local homeless shelter.
19. Buy $5 gift cards to a store of your choice (think Starbucks or McDonalds) and hand them out to people as they walk into the store.
18. Make greeting cards and hand them out at a local nursing home.
17. Load quarters into drink, candy, and toy machines around the area with a thinking of you card attached.
16. Tape popcorn to Redbox Machines.
15. Buy some baked goods and deliver them to your local police and fire stations.
14. Pass out flowers to staff workers at a local hospital.
13. Leave new toys at a playground with a nice message on them.
12. Go to a local Laundromat and fill the machines with quarters.
11. Go to a shopping center and return all the shopping carts to their stores.
10. Place nice notes and a dollar inside envelopes and place them on random cars windshields.
9. Tape dollars to random toys at a dollar store.
8. Donate coloring books and crayons to a local children’s hospital.
6. Go to a grocery store and offer to load people’s groceries into their car.
5. Find people at bus stops and hand them money for their ride.
4. Buy doggie treats and donate them to an animal shelter.
3. Have the kids bring in some outfits that have outgrown and donate them to the Goodwill.
2. Buy dessert and deliver it to staff members of your church.
1. Buy nice socks and give them to people leaving shoe stores.
After a day of showing God’s love to others, return to church for a pizza party and have everyone share their favorite moments from the day. Ask them what are ways they can show Random Acts of Kindness to others every day.